Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!!!

Did I ever mention that I had the BEST dad in the world? Well, I did, DO!!! He would have turned 50 on July 4th of this year. Where does the time go? It is hard to believe that in August it will be 7 years since his passing. Not a day goes by that he is not in my thoughts, not a day goes by that I don't miss him like crazy!! Luckily for me, I have the 2 cutest distractions in the world. I am always trying to think of new stories to tell my kids. When I was pregnant for Avery, and OVERDUE, by several days, everyone kept saying "She is having too much fun with her grandpa up in heaven." Probably true. Now my sister, who today is almost 5 days overdue, is hearing the same thing. He would have been to best grandpa to Avery, Adison, Grace, and hopefully soon JACK!! I wish everyday that my kids had there grandpa here to grow up with. Luckily for them, they have a grandpa watching over them from heaven, and they are even more lucky to have wonderful grandpas here on earth. I know he has visited Avery in her dreams. She has woke up a few times telling us that her grandpa Kaiser was singing her songs during the night. Maybe that's why she likes to listen to AC/DC with me. JK. I like to think thats why I hear Adi giggeling in her sleep, her grandpa is visiting her.
Growing up, I was not the "ANGEL" child that my sister was. My brother and I often got in trouble for making fun of the "GOLDEN CHILD". Yes my dad and I butted heads on a regular basis, yes my dad took my door off the hinges when I slammed it too much (don't you worry, I hung every blanket I could find over that door, but got in trouble for putting unnessisary nail marks in the walls.) yes, he woke us up at 7:00 a.m. almost every saturday morning one summer to move rocks and to build a rock wall at our new house, yes, I had to BEG to do anything with my friends, but with all of that he was the best dad, and did so much for us.
It is so fitting that he was born on the 4th of July. We used to have so much fun going to the Saginaw fire works as a family,and extended family. How we ever survived that part of Saginaw is beyond me. (My family will know what I mean by that.) My dad had this loud whistle he would make that sounded just like a firework, it would make everyone around us look around trying to find who let the firework off!!!
I have so many regrets from when he was sick. I lived in Utah at the time, and because he was such a good dad, he kept telling me he was OK, because he did not want me to give up my life in Utah to come home. I believed everything would be ok. One of my best memories was 2 monthes before he died. I went back to Michigan to be in my cousins wedding. My dad made arrangements for all of us to stay in a beach house on Lake Huron. It was so pretty. We just spent 2 days as a family. It was so much fun. That was the week we found out his cancer was back, and there was not a whole lot they could do for him. I was in denial I think, he was so strong and positive about it. You never think anything is going to happen to your parent. They are always supposed to be there.
Unfortunatly, 2 monthes after that great trip, a trip I will be forever greatful for, my dad passed away. That was the toughest week of my life. I lived at that hospital for 4 days. We all did. My dad did not really know who I was the whole time, and when he did, I would just talk and talk. The last time my dad was really coherent there were about 30 people in the hospital room. Way too many people. It drove me crazy. Anyways, my dad decided to say a prayer while we were all there. Keep in mind, my dad had not really been with it up to that point. He said the most beautiful prayer that day. We all kept looking up to see if it was really him talking. It was AMAZING. I wish I could remember it. After his prayer he asked for his girls. Heather and I were the only ones there. My step mom had decided that my little sisters Danielle and Cassidy were too young to be there. He talked to us for a few min. then said goodbye. He then talked to my brother Nathan, his only son, and said goodbye to him. He then said He was ready to go. I ofcourse lost it. He closed his eyes, and for about 10 mins. we all watched him in silence. He opened his eyes and said "Are you kidding, I am still here." He gave us all a good laugh. That afternoon, he went to sleep and never really woke back up. Two days later he passed away with none of his 5 children in the room. That was the first time in 4 days he did not have one of his children in the room with him. I know he did not want his children to see him pass away. So much happened in that hospital that I will never forget. A lot that I do not feel needs to be shared on a blog. I am so greatful for the knowledge that I have, that I will be with him again.
I worry so much about my little sisters who lost a dad at such a young age. They were only 10 and 3 when he passed away.
My intentions of this post was just to honor my dad on his 50th birthday, and to let everyone know how funny, smart, and handsome my dad was, and how he was the best dad in the world. Not to go on and on with the sad stuff. I just could not stop typing. It is stuff I never want to forget about him. I love him so much.
Now here are a few pictures of my dad. The top picture is just him. I love that smile. Isn't he handsome? The second picture was taken of him when he was called as a stake missionary. The third picture is of the house he "built" (he did alot of work to it.) We all loved that house. I had a huge KILLER yard to mow, and a big pond in the back yard. Notice the rock wall in the front, that we woke up so early every Saturday to help with. The fourth picture is of his headstone. The back says Famililes are forever Craig, Kathy, Nicole, Heather, Nathan, Danielle, and Cassidy. Ironically, his headstone was placed the day before Fathers Day in 2003. 10 monthes after he passed away. We went to see it on Fathers Day.



7 comments:

The Fournier Family said...

Well I couldn't help myself and had to read it. Yes I'm crying at work now! Dad is I'm sure teaching Jack all of the naughty stuff he shouldn't know! Like driving me crazy with not being here yet and making think that I'm in labor for 2 days now! I miss him so much and had a hard time with it with this pregnancy. It's just not fair....

Olson Family said...

I would like to THANK you Heather. It took me 2 hours to write that post because I was crying. I finally stopped and read your comment. Now I am crying. Thanks Alot. JK!! I know, it is very very unfair!!!

Jaymi said...

My eyes always tear up when I read your posts about your dad but this one really hit me hard. Probably because I around you during that time in your life and I saw how hard it was on you but I remeber how thinking how strong you were being and what a great support you were to your family. I never actually met your dad but it sure felt like i did from all the wonderful stories you would talk about and I will never forget the sunday phone calls home, every sunday! Thank goodness for memories.

Keith and Crystal said...

As I wipe the tears from my eyes reading your post. I am also wanting to say how grateful I am to have known him and had the honor of having him in my life as a kid. I remember sleep overs at your grandma Kaiser's house when Kathy and your dad were dating. He was so funny and I loved the way he loved you guys. I always wished my dad was like that. I am sorry he was taken from all of you and I can not even begin to imagine how had it has been for all of you. God bless you and your family and Happy Birthday Craig!

The Park Family said...

Nicole....I am sobbing! Connor is looking at me like I am crazy! That was a great post. Sounds like a great man! Happy Birthday Nicole's DAD!!

Tearz said...

Happy Birthday Craig. Gosh, all the memories of him. How could I choose just one. Your daddy was crazy cool and fun and one of the reason's I love classic rock so much. So many trips to Caro blasting songs and driving so fast around those curves around the river. Camping in the back yard and his devotion to you, heather, and Nate and Kathy and the girls. You were blessed to have him and still blessed that he is wth you always. Love you and I know that post was hard, but good for you for keeping him alive. Love ya girl~

Janille said...

That is so sweet! Thanks for sharing! I KNOW he had to have been a great guy to have such a GREAT daughter!! We LOVE you so much!!